- Info & Maps
- Water Supply
- Sole Source
Water Conservation Spotlight
Water Well sealing (Summer 2015)
- Unused or abandoned wells can be a conduit for surface contaminants to travel from the ground to the aquifer. Sealing these abandoned wells will reduce this risk. See this UI Extension Land & Water Note for more info.
- Observe a water well sealing on June 25, more info
- IDPH fact sheet on abandoned wells.
Fix a Leak Week (Spring 2015)
Fix a Leak week project (Mar 16-22): Do you have a runny toilet? What can I do?
- Learn about the scope of the problem and how to detect and fix the most common, household water waster.
- Where can I get a leak detection kit?
- Share your test results: take a short survey
- Repair demos: March 21, 2:00PM, 2:20PM & 2:40PM, Lowe's, 1904 N. Prospect, Champaign
Medicine Disposal (Fall 2014)
This spotlight shines on a water quality issue-- proper disposal of unwanted medicines. What can you do?
- To prevent water contamination, do NOT flush unwanted medications down the toilet.
- Learn better options at the UI Extension/ Illinois-Indiana Sea Grant web site, which includes local disposal sites.
Lawn Watering (Spring 2014)
In its 2008 report, RWSPC noted that peak water use for public water supplies is almost double during the summer. People use this water to water lawns and gardens, wash cars and cool-off. This higher demand affects how water treatment plants are designed. What can you do?
- Learn from the UI Extension pros
- Install a rain barrel. One 50-gal rain barrel can save 1,000 gals over the summer. more local info
- Eliminate waste in your irrigation system.
- Water at dawn or dusk. Avoid the middle of the day when evaporation is highest.
- Maintain your system-- fix broken heads and adjust spray off of roads anf sidewalks.
- Upgrade to a hi-tech system or use this app
- Urbana will have a rain barrel sale on Sat, May 17, 9-3